The Short Version
- I'm best known for releasing free cheat sheets on this site, writing about PHP security and complaining about PHP not being British enough.
- I've been building websites as a hobby since 1993 and professionally since 1998.
- I like skiing, snowboarding, squash, cycling and chess.
- I'm studying physics and maths with the Open University.
- I'm a big fan of web applications. You can find me on last.fm, Twitter, SmugMug (link coming), del.icio.us, Facebook, LinkedIn and Streaming Soundtracks, and many more.
The Long Version
I've been involved with web design, web development and online marketing since 1993, when I set up my very first hobby site. It was the first of many - I churned out dozens of small sites, mostly hosted on Angelfire and similar free hosts. They were largely appalling and if you were unfortunate enough to experience one of them I can only apologise and assure you that I've learned a lot since then!
These days I work almost entirely with PHP, though I've worked with ASP, ASP.NET and Cold Fusion in the past, and am learning Python. My recent projects have made use of several open source platforms, including Magento, Drupal and MODX.
I'm comfortable with server management, including setup and configuration of Linux, Apache, Nginx, PHP and MySQL. The more time I spend using the command line, the more useful I seem to find it.
When not in front of a screen, I enjoy snowboarding and skiing, but don't get to go nearly as often as I'd like. I also cycle regularly and play in a squash league. In September 2008 I started a physics degree with the Open University. I'm thinking about switching to maths. I hope to finish in 2014.
Please do feel free to email me!
About Added Bytes
The site has an elastic layout, meaning the site expands with your browser window within predefined limits - the idea is to make the most of available space, without allowing the site to expand so far that lines of text become unreadable.